Wednesday, June 3, 2015

All hard work brings a profit.

Jones walked into the garage, “Where’s Davis?”

A stressed mechanic pointed to a door and Jones knocked on it.

“Enter!” Davis filled his coffee mug and rubbed his bloodshot eyes.

“Rob Cooper,” Jones introduced himself and shook Davis's hand. “Wilson told me you need help.”

“Eh... I...”

“I work for free.” Jones knew how much Davis needed the help.

“Free?” Davis seemed dazed.

“I don’t have any references.”

Davis emptied the mug and pulled his fingers through the hair.

“You need help and I need to get a foot in.” Jones tried not to sound desperate.

“I can’t promise you a job.”

“You can tell people about me.”

“Earn it.” Davis filled the mug again. “Talk to Ross. He’ll put you to work.”

Relieved Jones went back into the garage and talked to Ross. The choirs he got were so basic he could do them in his sleep, and he worked swiftly. As the new guy in a small town he had to prove his worth. The Davis family’s approval would help a lot.

“How’s the new guy doing?” Davis looked around the garage.

Ross rolled out from underneath a truck. “He’s quick and thorough.”

“Break time. Ella has made us dinner. You too Rob.”

Jones dried his hands, “You don’t have to...”

“Nonsense.” Davis pulled Jones with him to the door. “I won’t pay you but I’ll feed you.”

“Thanks.”

“Don’t thank him until you tried Ella’s cooking,” Ross laughed.

They had a quick dinner at Davis’s home next to the garage, and then they went back to work again. Everything seemed so normal, and it felt strange to think his life would be like that from this day forwards, normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment